Sunday 7 August 2016

Janet's walk, day 1: the journey to the way

Enforced pause at Thirsk railway station

There wasn't much at the station. I sat down to wait. A boy smiled at me through the window of a car that did a squealing turn in the car park, narrowly missing the tractor as it sped away. I tried to look less out of place, one woman on an empty bench in a near empty car park in a not often frequented station. I did what olduns do, I started to eat something from a paper bag. My hair blowing across my face made that tricky. I bit into a tomato and the seeds spiralled several feet away. This was not a way to remain inconspicuous sending showers of tomato seeds far and wide. The banana was more co operative if less flavoursome. I stowed the skin in the adjacent bin.
The sky had clouded over and rain was a possibility. The tall red fireweed that lined the car park bowed in the wind. A budleia on the wasteground by the track tossed its several flower heads too vigorously for the cabbage white butterfly to find a safe landing. It gave up and danced off up the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment