Sunday 14 August 2016

The new rucksack

Today, Sunday 14th August, was the first real test day for the new rucksack. Up to Friday I was using an old rucksack from our 2004 bits of the West Highland Way. I used the small one, originally bought for Hannah, but trying to travel light I'd thought this one adequate for my current adventure.

The main problem was that even empty it was quite heavy. I'd tried various things, including leaving it for Bob to pick up on Friday from my previous B and B. But from Sunday onwards I'd need a different plan as I have to carry it everyday to the end. So Bob came up with a whole range of rucksacks including a new one he got for me. Guess what? It's orange! Yesterday I tried it out and today was the first full test day.

The path was from Saltburn to Staithes. It's quite an undulating walk along the cliff tops and includes the highest cliffs in England. There were some butterflies, including the grayling which it seems is common on coasts, and a lots of bumblebees on the heather. It was probably the most strenuous day's walking so far in terms of repeated ascents and descents.

I walked into Staithes at around the middle of the afternoon. The houses are perched closely together around the harbour. The streets are steep and narrow. St Peter's church hosts a local craft co-op. It's hard not to buy something but it needs to be light! I got some beautiful hand-dyed wool from Wensleydale long wool sheep. Ideal to pack in the new rucksack.

No comments:

Post a Comment