Tuesday 23 August 2016

No funeral by request

Whilst I was walking on the Cleveland Way last week, my next door neighbour died. Her wishes were that there be no funeral. So today around the time of her cremation I set off on a walk along the local routes and paths she had walked so often.

Station 1: Her garden where I picked a few flowers:


Sweet peas for sweetness
Clematis for colour,
One Pink for isolation,
Lavender for fragrance,
Rosemary for remembrance.

Station 2: overlooking Bottoms reservoir


Psalm 23, the psalm for this valley.

"The Lord is my Shepherd
I lack nothing.
He leads me beside still waters
He restores my soul
He takes me along paths of righteousness for his name sake.
Even though I walk through deaths dark valley
I fear no ill for you are with me your rod and staff comfort me
You prepare a table in the presence of my enemies
You anoint me with oil
And my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me every day
And I will live in God's house forever."

Station 3: the spurter


A tribute

I once met my neighbour and her dog at this corner and we walked around Bottoms together. We lived next door to each other for about a decade and a half, but I barely knew her. She talked a lot but said little. She had been a teacher in Hadfield I think but in other places too. She had done a lot of outdoor pursuits and Guiding. She had looked after her mother, for 9 years. She didn't come into the house and I rarely went into hers. Most of our conversations were outside. Only recently, after the conservatory was built would she come in a sit down and talk whilst I was sewing. The last time I saw her Hannah and I made her and her mum a meal. We shared that feast together.

Station 4: a walk in the woods


The hymn is "All things bright and beautiful" beacause I'm sure she would have sung that many times in school for example. The mountains wear their purple hats today and I walk amongst the tall trees in the greenwood. I make up verses about fireweed and brambles and eat a few blackberries. There are also dragonflies and butterflies swooping past. I walk up the rest of the beech lined path in silence, the background hum of the road accompanying me.

Station 5; The fishing platform


There are already two mourners here: Hector and Elsie , two greyhounds with sleek bodies, sharp noses and alert ears. I acknowledge their attendance. Elsie noses my leg. They are called away.

Psalm 121: "I lift my eyes to the hills from whence my help comes. My help comes from God who made heaven and earth."

I cast the flowers onto the waters They separate and float away in sunlit ripples.

"Earth to earth, Ashes to Ashes. Dust to dust,
In the sure and certain hope of the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ from the dead."

I walk on in silence remembering 'There is nothing in all creation that can separate us from the love of God.'

Station 6: the falls by the hydroelectric station


"Peace is flowing like a river flowing out through you and me, flowing out into the desert, setting all the captives free."

Station 7: a bench overlooking Rhodeswood reservoir


The blessing

The blessing of the fresh air and clear sky,
The blessing of the still reservoir and the rushing stream
The blessing of the light butterfly and the snuffling-nosed dog,
The blessing of the green and gold day
And the light on the purple hillside be with you forever.

I walked back, about 5 miles altogether.
And that was it:
No funeral by request.

In our life and our believing
The love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment