Thursday 18 August 2016

Final lap to Filey

One of the best things about the Way has been the wildlife, especially the Butterflies. Here' s a few of today's sightings:
In the woods above Cayton Bay, speckled woods;
On the coast three peacock Butterflies and several Walls, a clutch of small green beetles and a small tortoiseshell before caravan park and footpath to Gristhorpe;
On the next stretch, a peacock, a Wall, 2 painted ladies and three common blues, and a dead mole;
Another painted lady, a peacock and 2 Walls round to end of the Way at Filey Brigg.

Although it had once again been a hot day for walking there are signs that the summer is coming to an end. Crops are ripe in the fields, hay has been baled and a tractor is ploughing above Filey, followed closely by gulls. Autumn is the next season.

Looking for plants and animals in the countryside has been something I have done all my life. My mother taught me the names of many wild flowers when I was growing up and I learnt the names of butterflies and insects when I was doing my A levels. I find it sustaining to look for them as I walk along, even greet them and try to remember what I have seen.

Along the way today the sea was always there on my left. It was so blue and vast and beautiful. Some of the cliffs still house a few late gulls and I saw a Cormorant enjoying a meal.

People also enjoy the way. Coming towards me from Filey, a woman and her daughter, told me her mother had walked the Way a few years ago when she was nearly 70. Looks like I'll have to come back in 10 to 12 years time to keep up with that. It has been brilliant experience. Thanks to all who have supported me, especially Bob and a lot of followers on Twitter.

On our coming and our going
The Peace of God.
In our life and our believing
The Love of God

No comments:

Post a Comment